Hook File Instructions:
1. Hold fish hook so that point of hook is exposed and stable.
2. Lay far end of file flush against point of hook.
3. Stroke the file in an upward motion against the point of the hook with light pressure.
4. Rotate hook and repeat until sharp.
Knife Sharpening Instructions:
1. Place sharpener on flat surface and grip handle with left hand. Hold knife in right hand. Select the appropriate sharpening slot. (Coarse – Quickly sharpens a dull blade; Fine – Finishes the edge for cutting)
NOTE: A reasonably sharp blade may only require light sharpening in the FINE slot. The COARSE slot is intended for very dull or damaged blades that require a new, sharp cutting edge.
2. Insert knife blade into sharpening slot as shown.
3. Pull blade through slot in direction of arrow from heel to tip while applying light, downward pressure. Follow contour of blade all the way to tip.
4. Repeat this action until sharp. If needed, move to FINE slot and repeat.
NOTE: A knife blade made of very hard steel may require additional pulls.
Care & Storage:
Always clean your sharpener after use. Clean with a damp cloth or mild brush. Do not rinse with water. Store in kitchen drawer or cabinet. When the carbide blades in the COARSE slot stop removing metal from the knife blade, they should be replaced. Contact Smith’s® for replacement blades.