- Put a small amount of Smith's Honing Solution on your stone.
- Place your blade on the end of the stone at the desired sharpening angle.
- Push the blade away from you just like you were trying to cut a thin slice off the top of the stone. Use moderate pressure, let the stone do the work. Repeat this pushing stroke 3 or 4 times. Try to maintain the same approximate angle with each stroke. This is the key to obtaining the sharpest edge.
- Sharpen the other side of the blade by placing your blade across the opposite end of your stone and repeat previous steps, this time pushing the blade toward you.
- Continue these steps until you feel your blade is truly sharp.
Cleaning your stones will keep the pores free of stone and metal particles. After each use, the Arkansas stones should be cleaned by scrubbing vigorously with water, liquid soap, and a stiff nylon brush.
HONING SOLUTION WARNING: IF INGESTED, DRINK SEVERAL GLASSES OF WATER TO DILUTE. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING UNLESS DIRECTED TO DO SO BY MEDICAL PERSONNEL. NEVER GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS PERSON. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION.